THE CORONASITY PT2 (A Companion Read-Along)

The Coronasity PT2

  1. Oh Wonder – Lose It
    I wanted to start this list off with a little chill but also the title alone is pretty much where I am with quarantine. It's about just accepting what's happening and embracing the chaos. “You got to give yourself a moment, let your body be. We gotta lose it.”
  2. Logh – Death To My Home Town
    I remember my buddy Jayar bringing this band to my attention and this song immediately reminded me of St. Catharines. Don't get me wrong, I love this town. “Death to your regret. Death to my respect. Death to my home town. I can hardly wait till I awake again.”
  3. Eden Project – Drowning.
    In all honesty, just a new track that caught my attention, killer production. “I think I lost my mind a while ago.”
  4. Denali – You File
    I actually meant to put the song Reject on this list but got confused because all of Denali's tracks are hits! This was me mid 2000s
  5. Foxing – Heartbeats
    What can I say about Foxing. This album was my go to everyday on our last tour. This song in particular is a part two to the track Slapstick. It's a kind of letting go as well. And I mean the video, dancing alone on a grey beach. Who doesn't want to do that right now.
  6. Now, Now – Thread
    “Find a thread to pull”, perfectly sums up my daily routine. I was blown away when Ash from USS put this on in our green room one day. I had no idea he was into this band and was extremely pleased.
  7. Mew – Apocalypso
    This band are one of those where I get blown away every time I listen. Mostly, due to the fact that before this band non of the members where musicians. They were all art students who just decided, lets learn some instruments (oh, and master them). Disgusting but catchy.
  8. Muncie Girls – Picture Of Health
    I probably came across Muncie Girls about a year ago and the lyrics just hit me. Maybe it was a time and place or my old-man, emo heartstrings being plucked but this song just means a lot. Anxiety and mental health are a daily struggle
  9. Moving Mountains- The Cascade
    One of two songs on this list that were a ring-tone forever; to the point I go to answer my phone when this song comes on. New York state is always putting out rad bands and this is definitely one of them.
  10. Wolves Like Us – Secret Handshakes
    Not intentional but this is the second song that was a ring-tone. There music video accompanying this is creepy as hell. Also when the band Planesmistakenforstars broke up I honestly thought that this was the singers new band. Funny enough, both bands just toured together last year.
  11. Thursday – Jet Black New Year
    Come on, the title says it all. One of Thursdays b-sides that should have definitely been on an LP if not a single. “Have we lost everything now? Walking like each others ghost around these silent streets...Like calendars dying...”
  12. This Day Forward – White picket Defense System
    A throw back for sure. For those who love Alexis here's a contemporary if not an influence. Made me think of the hoarder, every person for themselves, mentality that hit right at the start of quarantine. Lets watch out or each other.
  13. Thrice – Deadbolt
    This song actually taught me a lot about song writing and structure. The fact that a punk band, which Thrice were at this point, could have so much melody and a gigantic resolve to the song when it gets to the bridge, amazed me. Just listen to the transition from minor to major chords.
  14. Dead To Me – Would It Kill You
    More so, this song made the list for the title alone. Just something to think about during all this. Staying at home, 'Would it kill you?”
  15. Hot Water Music – Paper Thin
    If Hot Water Music's album art has never caught your attention, this song surely should.“White, white walls and hospitals, all of us feel trivial. Fought for just one more day with no answers.”
  16. Free Throw – Two Beers In
    Not saying that I have been drinking a ton because, surprisingly enough, I have not. But as I write this I did just crack my second beer. “Two beers in...and I can already tell it is going to be one of those nights. Fuck everything about this!”
  17. Area21 – Glad You Came
    OK, this made it cause lets face it we all need to dance. Plus, I always play this on my DJ nights and I really miss being around people having a good time listening to great music! Please lets get back to this.
  18. Slander – Happy Now
    What's a playlist without at least one break-up song; does it even really exist? “Still remember the message on my phone, on a late night in Texas (replace that with Germany) All these memories work like magic, I feel so nostalgic...I hope you're all good”
  19. Sub Focus ft. Kele – Turn It Around
    No not the Comeback Kid song/album. What's better than Sub Focus? Oh, I don't know. How about throwing some Kele into the mix. Bloc Party at a rave anyone?
  20. Kele – Goodbye Horses (Q Lazzarus Cover)
    This is a great cover. Every time I hear this song all I can think Of is Jason “Human Kebab” Parsons. Is there such thing as too many nights sharing hotel rooms across this world?
  21. Flume ft. Kai – Never Be Like You
    Is it just me or does something special happen when you bring Canada and Australia together. I was so excited when I saw Kai was on this track. Two great artists bringing you some heartfelt electro for your ear-holes.
  22. Alison Wonderland – Run
    Let's keep with the Australia theme for a moment. How great is Alison Wonderland!? An accomplished musician for sure. Just another example of how I feel that DJs who actually have a solid musical background, just bring it better.
  23. San Holo – Don't Forget To Breathe Today
    Another incredibly talented musician, turn DJ, San Holo has not forgotten about you in these strange times. The video includes a super cute panda. Also he looks just like my buddy Cam; San Holo, not the panda.
  24. Joji (88rising) – Need Is Your Love
    I was trying to figure out how to transition into the hip-hop portion of this list and if you stick around for these two songs you will see how. Another great video, reminiscent of Beasties Intergalactic.
  25. Rich Brian – Dat $tick
    Most people, when first seeing this music video, were quick to brush it off as viral, Chocolate Rain part two. But as soon as Brian put out his debut, that was all put to rest. Pink golf shirts and fanny packs have never looked so good.
  26. Bishop Nehru – In My Zone
    A good example of me trying to be hard, all alone in my house. “No friends, I be chillin' alone.”
  27. King Geedorah – Next Levels
    You may try and argue that this isn't an MF Doom song and all I have to say is Fuck You. Hahaha. JK. But for real can we acknowledge how great this album is. Posi-vibes be abound.
  28. Beastie Boys – Get It Together
    I just watched the Beastie's doc and it was great. The overtly obvious choice form Ill Communication would be Sabotage but I say forget that. Can't go wrong with Q-Tip on the mic.
  29. Pharcyde – Passin' Me By
    Another title that rings true right now. Pharcyde will always be classic. Let the low-end set in.
  30. Joel – Vent
    So these next three artists are always featured in my recent most played/most loved. “Let me vent for a minute.”
  31. Myles Castello – Way Off
    Management mate (Coalition Music), Myles Castello always brings feels. “Can't come alive, while you kill my vibe.”
  32. Maceo, Nico TK – Wanna Talk
    Just a great message for all of us. Lets watch each others backs. “Call me if you ever want to feel a little better 'bout yourself...”
  33. Phantogram – Cruel World
    I don't fan-boy much, however, when we played SonicBoom in Edmonton with Phantogram, I was over the moon. I actually asked to take a picture with them, which in turn ended up being just myself and Sarah. Josh also did that thing on your phone where you take a hundred pictures in five seconds, so i have lots of copies.
  34. Don Broco – Hold On
    Most who know me already know how much of a fan I am of this band. To all you last year of Warped Tour attendees saying there is this great new band, Don Broco, fuck you. (JK) I found them first, years ago during the Big Fat Smile/Thug Workout days. This video is hilarious and a classic all at once.
  35. Enter Shikari – Search Party
    Lyrically this band stands above most of the rest. “I know we've got to find something new.” Rou reminds me of Ash on stage. You can see how much he believes in his music.
  36. Issues – Never Lose Your Flame
    I was going to put a different Issues track on this list but deemed it a bit to personal. This album was a huge part of me being on tour in 2014. Time of my life but a lot of internal feelings to reconcile. One of those, what do I really want to do with my life moments.
  37. Saves The Day – Sell My Old Clothes I Am Off To Heaven
    Oh you. You thought you were going to get through a list with out a Saves The Day song. So stupid. Again a b-side that I always thought deserved way more attention. Just a classic break-up track.
  38. Cavetown – I Miss My Mum
    This was going to be on the last list but I thought it may be to much of a downer. However, on multiple listens I realized how uplifting it actually is. Comfort in home and family.
  39. Motion City Soundtrack – L.G. FUAD
    Figuratively of course. “Let's get fucked up and die.”
  40. Third Eye Blind – Losing A Whole Year
    Probably the most on the nose song of the list. Losing a whole year. Lets hope not.

Comments